Tuesday 29 April 2014

Present Game Questions

The Big Idea: Describe your learning topic for the game. What is the most important thing you want your players to learn?
My learning topic for my game, is about World History-Alexander the Great. I hadn't really thought about this idea. I was more into the dynasties and ancient civilizations, but this is what happened. I researched Alexander the Great because we had already read about him in class. At that second, I thought about all the things that I would have in my game if I did my game based on this topic. I didn't have many ideas,  but as soon as I read about him, a bunch of ideas were presented. I read his history on how he got his horse, Bucephalus. Going to the next question, I want for players to learn more about his history. I, myself, didn't know the events that he had to go through to get his horse. Yeah, I want for players to learn of how the combination of Alexander and Bucephalus, came into play.

Research: What kind of research did you do? What did you learn about your topic?
Like I mentioned, we all had to do a Science/Historical topic. I thought about the Science topics, but no, I wasn't all that interested. On the contrary, there were many topics to do for History topics. When I chose Alexander the Great, for my topic, I began to research the events in his life. I wanted to do something simple, but interesting. That is when I found the topic of Bucephalus. I read on how Philip II of Macedon, was given Bucephalus by 13 talents, special metals. Nobody could ride him because he was aggressive, until Alexander the Great, offered to ride him. If he couldn't get him settled, he will owe those 13 talents to his father. Miraculously, he was able to ride him. It is said that it was destiny, that brought them together. Now, that was something that I didn't know of him and it was the kind of event that I wanted to include in my game by making it, the goal of the game.

Making Decisions: How did your ideas change as you worked on your game?
My ideas did change a bit, but that was because I just kind of,"winged it," at the beginning. I already had ideas for the game, but all I really did was to change the artwork. My idea remained the same, which was avoiding Philip, warriors, and rude remarks. Collecting horse gear for Bucephalus also remained the same.

Mastering Programming: What Game Ingredients and Help Center resources have been most useful to you so far, and why?
This is where I, right away, got started. Last year, I didn't do a good job, but the thing that helped me the most, this year, was actually reading instructions. I decided to do parallax scrolling, background music, splash screen, health bar, and immobilizing traps. The easy/medium game ingredients, were the easiest. I decided to try the Hard Game Ingredients, but I didn't have fun at all. I read the instructions over and over again, but it didn't quite work. This year, though, I got help from the Help Desk. They were a good resource because they fixed the problems and that's how my game actually got finished. If I would have to recommend any help, I would totally say the Help Desk because it helped me.

Overcoming Challenges: Which part of making the game was most difficult for you? How did you overcome this difficulty? What features are you most proud of in your game?
The most difficult part of my game was putting the Immobilizing Traps. Now, these were difficult since it was located in the Hard Game Ingredients. I seriously got frustrated because I tried everything. A week passed and nothing, I couldn't get it to work. I overcame this difficulty by getting help from the Help Desk. They got it fixed in 2 days! I was so excited because now that I had finished with this game ingredient, I could do more of them. Even though, it's a fairly simple game, I am overly proud of all the features of my game. I am proud of my artwork, the Splash Screen that is so much better than last year's, the working of the health and score, the moving objects, win/lose screens, even the background, which was Ancient Pella in Macedonia. Yeah, I am really proud of my game, Alexander the Great: Getting Bucephalus.

No comments:

Post a Comment